Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dogs are better than people

Most of the people that I know would agree that dogs are better than people. They love you unconditionally, are always there for you, don't judge and are low maintenance.

Don't get me wrong - some people make their dogs high maintenance. Dress them up, get them pedicures, etc. I don't but...whatever, to each their own. At least those dogs (though they may have no self esteem) are loved.

Let me preempt this with the fact that I have a soft spot for boxers. I have a geriatric one myself that I would do anything for. He has been through everything with me, and I with him. Though sometimes lately I think he might like the manfolk better.

People don't deserve dogs half of the time.

For instance...

I don't understand how someone can go out and get a purebred, AKC registered puppy, spend a bunch of money on it and then ignore it to the point where it doesn't even know its own name a year after coming to live with the family.

After a brief period of softhearted negotiations I was given such a dog from a friend (props to her for knowing that it was the right thing to do) and managed to find a loving family in need of a new addition in short order.

I spent less than 24 hours with this sweetheart and he was entirely lovable (and had more energy than I have ever seen in a dog). He is in desperate need of training but has a good heart and is with a family now that, along with their older boxer, will train and love him unconditionally.


My good deed for the weekend I guess. Makes me sad and happy all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment