Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Southern Cookin'

I love food.

I am a yankee who transplanted to Texas about 20 years ago and was informed by the manfolk that apparently I still haven't really ever had proper southern cooking... until recently.

Good gracious - he is a Texas boy from a southern family and his mom knows how to COOK.

A few of my favorites so far:
Chicken'n'biscuits - yummy
Apple Dumplins - holy crap one of the best things on the planet
Blackberry cobbler - wow (though I hear it is a finiky dish to make because of the berries - they have to be just right)
Turkey and dressing - why did it take me this long to find it?

One of the best parts is watching the manfolk cook these secret family recipies and reliving the childhood stories as he works. I love listening to the memories and stories of him growing up and a lot of time some of the best stories are triggered as he bakes/mixes/cooks.

The other favorite of mine has become listening to his mom talk about the recipe as she dishes it up to a family that (in my opinion) has been thoroughly spoiled having this wonderful food all of their lives.

Not to say I was deprived growing up - not at all - I grew up in a family of east coast yankees and the food is just different. This southern cooking is a whole new (happy) world for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment