Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Memories

Easter has evolved for me. Always been a holiday that didn't get much thought but always provided happy memories (and usually a long weekend).

When we were little we used to be forced to stay upstairs until all of the kids were up. Then we would scour the house for easter eggs filled with chocolate and change. There was always an easter basket on the table for each of us.

When we moved to Texas we made some friends. Two other families that lived up the street. Beginning in 1991 we spent spring breaks and Easter with them. Easter consisted of a kids only scavenger hunt in the yard. Each of us got a list and they would release us out the door youngest to oldest (I was always last) to race to finish. Chocolate, snacks, random stuff, and as we got older beer and little bottles of wine. There is video going back to that first one (scary, hopefully that doesn't come out for the manfolk viewing for a few more years - Junior High years weren't kind to my hair). When everyone was driving age it became a cross town hunt - boys vs. girls - with a disposable camera and some very specific rules. The last one of those were at 2006 (reason for cancellation is a story for much later).

We still get together each year, last year was a trip to Denver and we spent Easter morning bowling and taking advantage of the build your own bloody mary bar. Tomorrow we are off for a washers tournament and cookout.

As I grow older I appreciate these people and memories more and more. What started as neighbors and people I used to babysit for has become family. As I was growing up if I started dating (heaven help them) and got serious, the new man had to pass muster by my whole extended family. They really are my 'go to' people. When my marriage fell apart last year these folks were there for me before anything else. I tried to tell them what it means to me, but again don't really know that they understand. Family. It is just the only way to explain it.

This year we are working in time with the manfolk's family too. Should be a fun adventure. Church and MeeMaw's home cooking (which I am already addicted to) and then off to my family festivities. Cheers to another great Easter for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment