Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Me and the Catholic Church

So, I'm a divorced enemy of the Catholic church.

I mentioned before that the ex is Catholic (I was raised Presbyterian). The entire time we were together the only reason we went to a church was a wedding or a funeral. Needless to say weren't really practicing any sort of religion.

So after I left, he found his future wife and went back to the Catholic church. Hard core. So much so that he thought that it would be a good idea to get our marriage annulled.

Yes. Annulled after eight years of marriage. I believe the basis of his argument for it is that I didn't want to have children with him. He came to me a few months after the divorce was final and asked if I wouldn't fight it because it was really important to him -- I was pretty much floored by the whole turn of events. Considering that he hated the Catholic church for so long (he's pretty liberal and their anti-homosexual rants and tendency to tolerate the molestation of children got him fired up) it was a remarkable turn of events. I think I even have a picture of him humping an underwater Jesus in Mexico at some point.

Turns out it was important to his new woman - but not so important to delay their wedding plans when they found out it would take over a year to process. He got hitched less than a year after our divorce was final and plans on getting a 'blessing' whenever the church gets around to granting the annulment.

I certainly didn't fight it (takes a lot of energy and if he pays them enough he will get it either way). I don't really care and I just don't get it. If it makes him happy then so be it.

The reason this rant comes up is that I received a bit of mail that the annulment was still pending, but they had finished doing research.

Maybe God has a sense of humor and they will drag it out a few more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment