Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Angel Tree

I used to be a big proponent of the Salvation Army Angel Tree program.

Used to.

My office building is about a quarter of a mile away from the local SALVATION ARMY CHRISTMAS/DISASTER CENTER (doesn't that say something that those two are paired). Anyway, we get involved as a company in both donating and volunteering to help. 

While volunteering a few years ago during family pick-up I was dismayed at what I saw... more than 50% of the people coming to pick up gifts for their "children in need" had cars that were either 1. worth more than mine or 2. the wheels they had on them were worth more than my car.  When a mom with three "needy" kids gets out of her Escalade with her iPhone stuck to her ear and sparkly gold grille - you loose some faith.

The parents aren't needy... they fulfill their own needs first and then expect charity to take care of their kids.  As a mom I just don't get it.

Or maybe the system is broken and it's too simple to get labeled as "needy"?

I dunno.  I've stopped supporting the program until I figure it out.  I'm not a Grinch, I'm just disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment