Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pet Peeve #10

I used to not think anything of handicapped parking spaces, just didn't park there because I didn't want the ticket.

Then I was lucky to become friends with someone who is stuck in a wheelchair. After numerous adventures with her I have seen the challenges that she has doing stuff that I take for granted each day and the difference that having that space and the ramp readily accessable can make.

So now I want to slash the tires of people that I see using these spaces that don't actually need them. I'm not generally violent, but makes me nuts. You are able bodied, get your ass out there and be thankful every day that you are even able to walk. I'm not sorry for you if you have to walk the 100 extra yards to the front door - at least you can.

Oh and it kills me at work when it is raining and the handicapped spots are the first victims. You aren't going to melt.

If I was ordering the list of peeves this would probably be #1.

My extreme dislike for this behavior really doesn't help my opinion of the person on my Team who is currently abusing a temporary handicapped placard. She uses that space religiously, and when I go on a rant about people abusing handicapped spaces she nods along and says she wishes she didn't have to. But her apparent chronic pain doesn't stop her from walking 300 extra yards on the mornings she is late so that she can sneak in the back entrance to the building, as to reach her office and not have to pass in front of my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment